Tips to Decide When to Hire a Pro or DIY for Home Projects
Owning a home can be a source of pride, accomplishment and a way of building wealth. As a homeowner, however, you are also 100% responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the property, including the inside, outside, and yard. That can be a source of stress for many.
The trick to soothing that stress is to know which maintenance, repair, and lawn projects you can easily DIY with pride and which should be handled by pros. To make figuring this out less of a hassle for you and other homeowners, here’s a list of tips.
Curb Appeal: DIY or Hire a Pro?
Let’s say you want to spruce up the front of your home, whether you are selling or not. Here’s what to DIY and what to not:
● Adding curb appeal on a budget? These are projects just about anyone can DIY.
● But if you need something specific like fixing your roof, you should call a well-reviewed pro.
● The same goes for major lawn care. If you want to beautify your lawn, hire lawn aeration services (typically ranges from $74 to $190).
Seasonal Home Maintenance
You’ve heard of spring cleaning, but what about seasonal maintenance? These tips can help:
● Taking care of routine maintenance tasks, like clearing gutters, is very important.
● You can usually find season-by-season checklists to guide you through each project.
● You’ll need some basic tools to make sure you can handle home maintenance.
● Sometimes, it’s best to hire a professional. Sometimes, it may be illegal not to hire a licensed contractor.
Gardening and Yard DIY Projects
Back outside your home, gardening can be a fun hobby to take up with these DIY tips:
● Take on outdoor projects that can raise the value of your home.
● Want to grow your own vegetable garden? Even kids can get in on this project.
● But you’ll need to check growing zones before you get started.
● Other simple yard changes you can DIY include planting flowers and flower beds.
● Mulching is also a must in spring to reduce the presence of weeds and for your plants from drying out too quickly.
● When it comes to outdoor home security, you can install your own smart lights and camera systems.
Some home and yard projects can be easier and less expensive to DIY. Some can be fun and even family-friendly! At the same time, there are also several repairs and maintenance tasks that should only be completed by licensed and trained professionals. Knowing the difference can save you a lot of headache and stress, and can even keep you from breaking the law!
Thinking of Selling?
If you are thinking of selling, it pays to know what buyers look for, when comparing properties to purchase. A few dollars well spent sprucing up your home, can bring in thousands more! Here are some tips to prepare your home for the sale.
"When a family owns at least one home, wealth building begins and the future becomes full of promise. "
-Jesus M. Fernandez
Jesus M. Fernandez is a REALTOR® and the publisher of iLoveMiamiLakes.com and this blog. His primary area of service and market expertise, is in the town of Miami Lakes, Florida. He is passionate about his profession and truly serving the needs of his South Florida clients. He has been a REALTOR® and licensed in the state of Florida, since 1995. He proudly works with Morris Williams Realty, a state-of-the-art real estate company with offices in California, Texas and Florida. The firm's national headquarters is located in Palm Coast, Florida. Jesus is a member of the National Association of REALTORS®, the Florida Association of REALTORS®, the Miami Board of REALTORS® and the REALTORS' COMMERCIAL ALLIANCE.
Call or email Jesus here. Call or Email. Let his years of experience go to work for you!